Saturday, December 24, 2011

DAY THREE: Enniscorthy to Wexford

The view of the River Slaney from the Riverside Park Hotel.

Leaving the hotel.

I decided to wander Enniscorthy and found an imposing ruin looming above the town.

Chruch Street, Enniscorthy.

This beautiful castle is closed for refurbishment.

Paid my respects at St. Aidan's Cathedral, Main Street, enniscorthy - my first Irish cathedral!

On the road and heading for Waterford.

On the N30 at Lucas Park.  Sheep!  Cute little black legs!

The countryside is so stunning that I keep stopping and taking photos!  The end result is a lot of pictures but I'm travelling much slower than I thought I would.

The N30 at Clohass.

At Rathanure.  I'm determined to see fairy thorns... could these two be a hint?

N30 at Rathanure.  Almost with no notice the road can go from wide, sweeping countryside to this.

That's the strangest tree I've ever seen.

Literally at a crossroads.  I was planning to continue to Waterford, but with Loch Garman now so close, I have to take a look.

The speed limits also freak me out - 80kph along here?  I'd be nervous going at 60kph.

Wexford is so close...

I can't get enough of these beautiful streets! The R730 at Balleymacksey.

Loch Garman is just around the corner!

My first view of Loch Garman.


Loch Garman looking north.

Loch Garman looking south.


Instead of doubling back and going to Waterford, I decided to head on to Wexford along the River Slaney and the N730.

N730 looking back towards Loch Garman.

River Slaney.

The mudflats of Slaney...

...and the Irish Heritage Park.

Loch Garman is looooong.


Wexford in the far distance.

Stumbled into Church Street - this is a street?

Wexford Harbour Bridge.

"County Wexford was the centre of the 1798 rebellion against English rule. Wexford town was held by the rebels throughout the fighting and was the scene of a notorious massacre of local loyalists by the United Irishmen, who executed them on the bridge in the town centre."
Hook Head Lighthouse and in search for the Templar's Church ruins.

Breathtaking.

Tur Dubhain looking back towards the mainland.

Churchtown on Hook Head seems more like a ghost town.

Every second house is in ruins.

Churchtown on Tur Dubhain.

Those houses that aren't in ruins are for sale.

My first view of Templar's castle.

The ruins of this fortified Church are a stunning site to explore in Templetown, overlooking the sea in the Ring of Hook area. Templetown is just before you enter the Hook peninsula and you will pass through it en route to Hook.



The ruins are situated almost directly opposite the Templars Inn pub and restaurant. The original Church was built by the Knights Hospitallers who occupied the lands in this area after the Knights Templars disbanded in the early 1300's.


The toilets are where?

Templetown, Wexford.


The Mt Auburn B&B (not on a Mount), Wexford.

Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment